Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Wrap-up Refections

Today the participants met to wrap-up the challenge and share there experiences from the week. Here are some of their reflections:

 “Wake up call” 

“Your choice was taken away”

“What are [the kids] going to have for lunch tomorrow?”

“To go through a week was not a problem for me but I have a wife who is pregnant and a little fellow. I wouldn’t want them to have to live off the hamper I got. As a family it wouldn’t cut it.”

“Survival’s not good enough” 

“There is a hidden society”

“It took a lot of planning. The first thing I did was put the food on the counter and took a pen and paper and strategized.”

“I was encouraged by staff at the food bank who helped me pick out food and told me how to stretch it”

“You don’t have enough calories or sustenance to be active”

No comments:

Post a Comment