Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Tony: Day 4

Day 4: Thursday Oct.7. 
Well another day of work lies ahead and my morning routine seems to carry on as usual . More coffee but this morning I finish off the rest of my fruit cocktale and eat a cereal bar that was in my hamper .Today lunch hour finds me home so I open up my can of vegetable soup and have a few more crackers . I have to say that for a temporary period of time my food hamper is serving me just fine . I will however say that I am missing chicken , but I really don't know if its a need or just a want .I have protein available in my can of tuna that I have yet to open . This evening I took my wife and little guy to Hespeler Baptist Church where we were treated to a wonderful dinner of roast beef , potatoes , carotts , onions and gravy . Before this we had a vegetable beef soup .We actually had ice cream and a choice of apple or pumpkin pie ! This meal was fantastic but what stood out to me the most proved to be a human element . As soon as I walked in the door with my wife and son we were greeted with the most warmest of smiles . We were shown where we could be seated , the play area for our little guy , and what time dinner was going to be served .I had an opportunity to talk to a mom with her two little girls and to people on both sides of me . Talk was about weather , children , and how good the food was ! As dinner began to wind down I experianced first hand the compassion of people as I had two different people ( not volunteers) approach me to tell me where dinner was being served next Thursday and that they hoped to see us again .I never got into any details , and thanked them very much . As I have said earlier , for a single guy my hamper would certainly hold me over . For a family , unless the contents are different , not a chance that I would want to keep them going on it .I would have to definately make use of the drops ins to supplement . I look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow and to listening to their experiances .

Tony Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment