Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Jean: Day 4

Day 4 noon

Today had its wins. I had 2 meetings with FOOD involved. Last night at a group I was told that meeting food was fair game so despite enormous food guilt I had 2 pieces of fruit and a coffee. And cheese: a food I eat usually a lot but not in this hamper. What do adults do for calcium ? I had no interest in the carbs not surprisingly.

Breakfast was great: a coffee and a carrot Tim muffin. Midmorning I was hungry however and felt that upper abdominal tight growly feeling. Mildly uncomfortable. Lunch was another meeting so I got carrot soup and an apple. I donated some of my ciabatta roll stash to this lunch but i Still have 8 of them left and I worry about them going stale or moldy. I dont want to waste them. If I had eggs or milk I could make French Toast or bread pudding. Am I more food focussed than usual? I think I am. Supper will be the rest of my ratatouille and rice. I am considering opening the corn but I am wondering if I can make corn fritters without egg. I have not used any sugar yet so I could try and find a recipe.

This week I am definitely more hungry. I am faced with foods that challenge my recipe routines and still have to make time for meetings, work, family. Fortunately I am not having to cook for a bunch of other people too.

I cant be at the lunch tomorrow. I work until noon. Maybe I can be there by 12:30 and just listen. I have food to return...

Jean Skillman

No comments:

Post a Comment