Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hungry in Cambridge

My husband is irritable. I think he needs meat.
My daughter has a head cold and is convinced that it is a result of her not eating enough. She didn't want the crackers as her snack last night so she didn't eat anything. This picky eating has got to go!
I ate expired meat today and survived to tell you about it.
We managed to make pasta with salmon cream sauce for dinner (that makes cream of mushroom soup and canned salmon sound fancy :)

So far, the family is talking about it:
My 17 year old says "This sucks. I'm hungry."
My husband says "thats all the food we get for four of us for a week? we usually eat that in one day!"
My nine year old says "What do you mean I can only have one package of oatmeal for breakfast? I always have two."
I say "now kids, what are we learning?" while my stomach growls and my bones crack from the lack of milk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb & team,

    Just a reminder that you can drop by this morning any time after 9:00 and pick up produce and bread products and as well we have cottage cheese.

    I think this as well speaks to the importance of our Co-op Program where families can be part of this and receive food twice a month - this is to supplement families grocery buying and provides another link to the Food Bank and hopefully return to school, work or something in the community.

    Thanks again Deb.

    Pat (Cambridge Self-Help Food Bank)

    ReplyDelete