Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 3

Today is my Wife's Brithday.
i guess i'm excused from buying her a gift as my food bank Budget will not allow that.
On the other hand i will never get out of the doghouse if I don't.
i don't think a bag of crackers with a bow on them will cut it. (help)

My Brain is beginning to feel like sludge, many of you have suspected that already.
i think it is lack of fresh veggies, eggs, milk and proteen plus all the extra preservatives and salts i'm not used to eating.

I was tempeted to make a dandelion salad from the dandelions in the lawn, but the leaves were to bitter. I also have lingering nightmares over my mom's salads she tried to serve us as kids.

the math is adding up; fresh veggies + fruits = more productive, positive people including me.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Pastor Rob on undertaking this challenge! When people such as myself have to use the Food Bank on a fairly regular basis find ourselves with little nutrients and lots of trans fat. preservatives, salt and a variety of ingredients that I don't even know what the are. However, I am so very thankful for the availabilty of the Food Bank and greatful for whatever food I receive. Makes it hard to lose weight though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go!! I think you may find a website I frequent interesting.
    www.hillbillyhousewife.com
    The whole thing is designed with frugality in mind and has loads of recipes, tips and tricks to help stretch each dollar.
    Have fun surfing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if the food bank has a program for fresh fruit & veggies but I think it would be a good idea if people donated grocery store gift cards so the people using the food bank could go to the supermarket to buy fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny to hear you mention the hillbillyhousewife site. I know the lady who writes that. I'll have to ask her where she finds all of the hints she has.

    ReplyDelete