Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dinner Date

I am so glad I work at a place that supports low income people! Once a week I teach a course at the YMCA for marginalized people. Part of the formula is to offer dinner - for free - to all participants. I never have appreciated it so much. I started thanking God yesterday for what I knew I would get to eat tonight! I knew it would be fresh vegetables, and meat and plenty of it.
Some participants also bring their children to the course and the Y provides free childcare. so at least one adult and their children get free dinner once a week. some people pile their plates high with food every week, and take home the rest. I have a new appreciation of why.

No comments:

Post a Comment