Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Jean: Day 3

This is day 3.  I have a lot of food which I don't think I am going to eat.  I had a meeting today and only had apple juice as I have a can of that in my bag.  That was hard but not as hard as being hungry in the late afternoon.  I had peanut butter for lunch out of the jar as I had not brought my bread, and a quarter of a green pepper, which I had scored along with an eggplant.  Dinners this week are pasta sauce with eggplant and rice.  Oh, I ate my pineapple last night and at lunch to day. This food does not last in the body and I am sure any diabetics would have a hard time with their blood sugars. So many carbs, so little vegetable and fruit.  No eggs, no yoghurt.  The skim milk is fine by me however.  I have a can of spaghetti for Friday and lentil soup for tomorrow.  I still have 12 ciabatta rolls.  Not going to finish those.  I have a lovely box of granola for breakfast and snacks.  The complete randomness of what the hamper contains is interesting to observe from all the posts. 

Jean Skillman

No comments:

Post a Comment