Welcome to the "Do the Math" Challenge Cambridge blog!

From October 4-8, 2010, several members of the Cambridge community will be eating from a typical food hamper in order to draw attention to poverty in our community and what many people on social assistance experience on a regular basis. This is in support of the Put Food in the Budget Campaign, which is calling for a $100 Healthy Food Suppliment in Ontario to support the health and well being of all Ontarians.

Follow along as the participants share their thoughts.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Potluck Lunch

I'm sitting in my office avoiding the potluck luncheon for all staff. I can't attend. What would I make to bring? In real life, I would make up an excuse, but in this simulation game, I can just explain to a few people and hope in these hard financial times we can all be thankful for our jobs - even if you don't love it.
We often have potluck dinners for participants in my programs. sometimes people bring a box of timbits or a bag of cookies. its not necessarily because they don't want to contribute, it may be that they just cannot afford to bring anything and its just too embarrassing to admit that.
This is humbling. I don't have many choices. We had to make kraft dinner last night so the four of us could all have kraft dinner for lunch. There was nothing else - well margarine on a bun but I chose the kraft dinner. I have to hand it to the food bank. they give you as much choice as they can. It helps maintain some dignity.
I can't go in that room and look at all the wonderful dishes hand-made by my colleagues and drool. I can't attend a potluck without bringing something. Everyone wants to be the one who gets asked for a recipe. so I'll sit here at my desk, and eat my kraft dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment